Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a full time job, but also take on a few small side gigs and have collected HST. Do I need to do the standard return or self employed return?

The freelance jobs I took on this year totalled under 3K. Do I need to self employed return or can I go with standard? What is the difference exactly?

1 Reply

I have a full time job, but also take on a few small side gigs and have collected HST. Do I need to do the standard return or self employed return?

You can use any version to prepare your tax return with Self-Employed income, even Free! As you are a GST/HST Registrant you must complete the T2125 - Statement of Business Activities (even though your gross self-employed earnings do not exceed $3,500), and every version will allow you to complete this statement.

You can always do a "test drive" and start with a lower version, then if would like more guidance, you can upgrade and your information will carry over to the upgraded version. Just remember you cannot "downgrade" back to the lower version.  

Here's a link to the complete TurboTax line-up: https://bit.ly/2kmewB8