Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I left the country on July 1, 2018. I notified the CRA and became a non resident. I later returned to Canada on December 3, 2018. TuboT is not calculating my tax credits.

When I entered the information into 'has your residency changed'  turbo tax will not calculate my basic personal amount tax credits for the 7 months ($6,891.28)  I was working in Canada, including the month of december when I became a resident again. When I put in the date returned and the date left turbo tax calculates Line 300 as $0 which is not correct. 

I am not sure if I should be using Turbo Tax this year as it seems the system cannot accept someone who leaves and comes back in the same tax year. The reason this is an issue is Turbo tax is using ALOT more of my Tution Tax credits than it should be to bring my balance to $0. Can someone advise me what I Should do here.
1 Reply

I left the country on July 1, 2018. I notified the CRA and became a non resident. I later returned to Canada on December 3, 2018. TuboT is not calculating my tax credits.

Although TurboTax software is designed to fit nearly all tax situations for Canadian taxpayers, multiple residency statuses are not compatible with our software. 

Please contact CRA for clarity on which status you should use for 2018 and if you are required to file multiple returns for the year based on your complex tax situation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/international-tax-non-resident...