Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somepond9

I moved from ON to QC only for school. Do I still say I moved and now live in QC as of December 31, 2023 even if its temporary? Or do I still use the main address in ON?

I moved my mailing information and everything to my QC address, but technically I still have my main address as my parent's residence in ON. I don't own any property and only rent. I also plan on moving back to ON after I finish school.
1 Reply

I moved from ON to QC only for school. Do I still say I moved and now live in QC as of December 31, 2023 even if its temporary? Or do I still use the main address in ON?

Yes, you are correct, your principal residence address is Ontario even if you are living in Quebec for school. As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Determining an Individual’s Residence Status: Under normal conditions, a person files a tax return for the province in which they are residing on December 31 of the taxation year. Sometimes, a person may be considered to be a resident of a province even if they have temporarily relocated to another province. This could happen if the person was a student in a province where they do not normally reside. A person will be determined to be resident in the province in which they have the most significant residential ties. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.