Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing tax slips from CRA fails

When using the "Import tax data from CRA" in the desktop version of Turbotax, it pops up a browser window where I successfully log onto my CRA account.  Then after a long wait, the Turbotax screen shows "We weren't able to download your info.  We got an error when trying to connect to the CRA.  don't worry; we'll help you get the info you have into the right spots in just a few steps."  From there it guides me to manually enter my T-slips.

I tried both yesterday and today, so it seems like something is broken or out of service either in CRA or Turbotax.  I know that there are T slips in my CRA account, because I checked there.

I am using an up-to-date Microsoft Edge browser.  I don't think there is anything I can do as a user to fix this.  It has to be fixed by Turbotax or CRA.  If it's just out of service temporarily, it would be nice to get a message to say so, rather than just saying "We got an error..."

16 Replies
LostB4

I am having the same issue...I tried yesterday and today and it failed.....Although I was able to log into my CRA account outside of TurboTax program with no problems. It  would not allow me to log into CRA within the program.....frustrating....if this feature is not currently available....it would be nice if the program informed us before we tried troubleshooting.

VI16
Level 2

Similar problem with me yesterday: the tax receipts actually WERE downloaded and listed inside Turbo Tax. I went to 'browse' one to check it out and everything went 'Kaboom'. An Error Code "400" appeared on a blank browser screen; trying to go back to my session was eventually possible, but then I was also only given the 'manual' option to move forward. Now, I can't even find the partially completed Tax Return I was working on.

It is Turbo Tax's responsibility to stay on top of their interface to CRA...we cannot do this. If they want to keep customers, then they need better Error tracking, messaging and improved management of that interface.

Don't blame the users, and don't blame CRA!

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

SallyfromCanada
Returning Member

I am seeing the same issues here after several attempts. I am talking to Turbotax now. We found no importing T slips issues for four of my family members and only one. The same error code (ERR-021) two days in a row which supposed to mean the account is locked. The account is  not locked because he had access to his CRA account.

@SallyfromCanada Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

SallyfromCanada
Returning Member

Hello Susan, I bought Turbotax online on March 1, 2024. Usually I buy the box from the store. I never had issues before. So is the Turbotax online is having bug issues?

SallyfromCanada
Returning Member

I called Turbotax [phone number removed] number that you have provided when I read the community issues and I called twice and no resolution. The person who linked me to the Technical person (through "Glance" so that he can see my screen and the person was not listening to both the agent (who understood my technical issues) I was talking to and he was not listen to me. He kept saying, download the T slips form CRA then enter manually. I am trying to resolve the uploading feature issues by letting you know and he did not help me after almost an hour (47 min later) I know that!! I was able to do that so Don't blame the users, and don't blame CRA! I have seen the same issues  raised(based on community comments) since 2019. I have been using Turbotax for several years now and why I was able to import 4 family member slips and only one i was unable to (able to access through CRA and the account is not locked). This is so frustrating

SallyfromCanada
Returning Member

The interface between Turbotax and CRA is not working for some and one gentlemen called and he waited 5 hours just to talk to CRA and just for CRA to say it is not on their end (especially when he was able to download manually from the website but no through Turbotax feature). Please help resolve this 

SallyfromCanada
Returning Member

As of this afternoon: I called CRA, it had mentioned that ERR.021 does not mean the account is locked, if one has not NETFile before, CRA needs to enabled from its side.

Situation: Able to download tax slips and go to Turbotax, unable to import tax slips (correct Netfile code). The reason, CRA needs to enable to your profile for Turbotax to be able to access (through Turbotax program and secure CRA site)

Turbotax, please put this tip from the CRA on your website because hours of trying and unclear instruction for others