Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandy_Pol
Returning Member

Marital Status Error

Receiving this error to fix before filing:

Brandy: You have indicated that your marital status on December 31, 2021 was either married/common-law or widowed, but have not confirmed if you were living with your spouse or common-law partner on December 31, 2021 or, on the date of death.

Was your spouse or common-law partner cohabiting with you on December 31, 2021? Or, if they died, were they cohabiting with you at the time of their death?
Note: You are still considered living together if you were living apart for less than 90 consecutive days in 2021 or living apart due to reasons other than a marital breakdown.

This question doesn't make sense as I am asked this question already in the intro - asked to confirm marital status, if we have been living apart, and any changes since 2020. All answered correctly so I don't understand why this error message is coming up as the question has already been answered. And my husband has the same answers and he is not receiving this error message. When I answer it correctly by going through "fix" it cuts our return in half so I am hesitant to answer as it seems like a glitch. 

5 Replies
Daavid25

Marital Status Error

this is the same problem I am having. I cannot correct it, I don't know where to fix it.

Marital Status Error

I'm having the same problem - I think it's a program glitch. Hopefully they do an update to fix it?

Marital Status Error

I called this morning & they suggested that I either uninstall or reinstall the program (in case there is a corrupted file), or just file the one with the error separately. I redid it as a separate file and it went through. 

IrishColleen1960
Returning Member

Marital Status Error

I am getting this error again for the 2023 tax year, it is so annoying.

Marital Status Error

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.