Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married and wife Not working

Hi,

I recently landed in Canada in 2019 on a work visa. My wife travelled a month later and is here on a visitor visa. She is not working here and i support my family through the earnings from my work. While filing my taxes if i want to file as "Married filing jointly", there is a mandatory SIN field for her. But since she is not working, she is not eligible to get  a SIN. How to include my wife and my kid (3 years old) in my filings to get a better tax return

3 Replies

Simply use 000 000 000 as a SIN# for your wife and put ZERO as her income and add your children as dependants on your tax return.

****Did we answer your question? Give us a “thumbs up” and mark the post that provided the best answer by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”***

Tnankyou for the response. I was told that we cannot file with SIN number as all zeros and i should be getting some sort of tax number from CRA for people on visitor visa, to include them during tax filing. 

Can you please let me know?

If your wife is not eligible for a SIN number, she may be able to get an ITN instead. This web page has a form to fill out if you need to apply for an individual tax number (ITN): https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t1261.html