Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianjamesmac
Returning Member

My T4E shows repayment rate of 0 but it increases my balance due when I enter the T4E, as if the repayment rate was 30%. It is for maternity so it is exempt.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My T4E shows repayment rate of 0 but it increases my balance due when I enter the T4E, as if the repayment rate was 30%. It is for maternity so it is exempt.

EI income is not exempt. It is taxable income. And, because very little income tax is deducted from EI benefits, it's common to have a balance owing on that income.

The repayment rate only applies if your total income for the year is over the maximum. In those cases, you actually have to repay a portion of your EI benefits.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

EI income is not exempt. It is taxable income. And, because very little income tax is deducted from EI benefits, it's common to have a balance owing on that income.

The repayment rate only applies if your total income for the year is over the maximum. In those cases, you actually have to repay a portion of your EI benefits.

ianjamesmac
Returning Member

I guess I was confused between maternity being tax exempt and maternity being exempt from the 30% repayment. So just the difference between income tax and repayment. Sounds like they are two totally different things. Thanks.
mr80khf

I have a T4E and it states " Fill in Repayment Chart if Box 7 is 30%.  The total of lines 21300 and 23400 plus the amount of RSDP Income repayment included on line 23200, minus the total of lines 11700 and 12500 is more than $75,375. 

mr80khf

I have already paid $1000 any help please

The repayment rate only applies if your total income for the year is over the maximum. In those cases, you have to repay a portion of your EI benefits.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.