Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netfile error: ... self-employment is not the same as your province of residence at December 31st. Your return is not eligible for NETFILE.

Hi

When trying to Netfile (for 2019), the following message appears:

The entry for province or territory of self-employment is not the same as your province of residence at December 31st. Your return is not eligible for NETFILE. To see the full list of NETFILE restrictions visit the CRA's information page.

However, no entries were made for self-employment for 2019 and I am not in violation of any of the other NETFILE restrictions. In addition, except for RESP income in 2018, there was no self-employment recorded in 2018 either yet the Netfile worked fine that year).

Questions:

1) why is this happening?

2) is there anything I can do to fix it so I do not have to file a hard copy?

3) if there is nothing I can do, what will TurboTax do to fix this, and when?

thx

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Netfile error: ... self-employment is not the same as your province of residence at December 31st. Your return is not eligible for NETFILE.

Thx for quick reply. Unfortunately, the potential solutions in the link you posted were not the cause BUT when I printed out a hard-copy, I noticed that the statement on the T1 'If you were self-employed in 2019, enter the province/territory where your business had a permanent establishment.' was completed w/ a different province than the province of current residence (for reference, this info is located in the 'Information about your Reference' section on the T1 form).

This info is not visible in Easy Step mode but is in 'Forms' mode. When I subsequently removed the faulty info on the T1 Form, I was able to NETFILE.

I am not sure why this info was entered incorrectly (as you are not asked to enter it through EasyStep) but just noting all this in case someone else runs into this issue.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

This FAQ lists some possible reasons why TurboTax is telling you that you are self-employed: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/navigating-turbotax/help/why-is-turbotax-telling-me-i...

Thx for quick reply. Unfortunately, the potential solutions in the link you posted were not the cause BUT when I printed out a hard-copy, I noticed that the statement on the T1 'If you were self-employed in 2019, enter the province/territory where your business had a permanent establishment.' was completed w/ a different province than the province of current residence (for reference, this info is located in the 'Information about your Reference' section on the T1 form).

This info is not visible in Easy Step mode but is in 'Forms' mode. When I subsequently removed the faulty info on the T1 Form, I was able to NETFILE.

I am not sure why this info was entered incorrectly (as you are not asked to enter it through EasyStep) but just noting all this in case someone else runs into this issue.  

What needs to be done to fix this.  Not self-employed but received a T4A with an amount on line 048.  Had to fill in info for self employment.  Have since moved to another province.  

When completing your T4A be sure to go to the drop-down arrow beside it to choose what type it is, as shown below.

You will enter your name as your business name and your home address as your business address. In the INFO section of your return, it will ask if you moved to another province in 2023, please review all of the information that you have entered.

When you moved in 2023 did you still do the same work?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.