Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-capital losses - override required (line 25200)

Had a situation some years ago which generated a huge loss, far more than a single year tax could allow for.  Because of this, the loss was distributed over a number of previous years - this required a hard copy written request to Rev Canada to consider and adjust those returns on a manual basis.

The non-capital loss being input to TurboTax continues to generate a helpful note that these losses remain available, even though some years have passed.  This is helpfully display - but not changeable - on the *LOSS worksheet.

I have attempted to manually zero out the amount with an override, but the software won't allow this.  Calling the 1-800 number for information unhelpfully sends back a text saying:

Here's the link to the information you requested from Turbotax:

help with overrides: null

Can I please get some assistance with removing all my non-capital losses so that I don't accidentally claim them in a subsequent tax filing?

1 Reply

Non-capital losses - override required (line 25200)

You should be able to delete the amounts that are in the Opening Balance column. If there's nothing else on that form that you need you can select edit > forms > clear current forms to empty the entire form.