Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yukonuck

Northern Residents Deduction Bug

Desktop Version 2023 Premier 00.01.41 4005 068G18  Windows 10

In completing the Easy Step, amounts that one enters into the area allocated to "Portion of the $1200 standard amount claimed by each person (yourself included). Dollar Value Claimed"  are not actually populated into the T2222 Form in the background.  This results in zero of dollars eligible to be claimed for each family member for travel not being applied to the deductions.  In 2021 a travel deduction is eligible for everyone that qualifies for NRD even if they did not receive an employment benefit for travel.  This change appears to be missing in the version I am using. 

The T2222 Form amounts had to be manually entered into Column 3 of Box A to arrive at the actual deduction amount.

2 Replies

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download, please make sure that it's updated. You can also try reinstalling the software using the download from our website. You can download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition here:  Choose the 2023 TurboTax edition you need (for Windows). 

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Yukonuck

Thank you Susan. You will notice I included the version info being used in my post.  I also indicated I had to use a workaround and manually enter the amounts into the Form T2222 directly.   I am now going to review my previous filings from earlier years to ensure the amounts I entered were correctly applied in TurboTax as to the CRA changes allowed for NRD effective with 2021.  Thanks!