Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vromans1

Oregon Standard deduction - medical expenses

I live in Oregon so I have to pay state tax. Since my medical expenses don't justify itemizing, I'm taking the standard deduction. Normally I would not input my medical expenses in turbo tax since I know I'll take the standard deduction. However, this time I went ahead and entered my medical expenses. TurboTax of course said the maximum refund for me would be standard deduction. However, I notice after adding the itemized medical expenses, my state tax for Oregon was reduced. So my question is, even though I'm taking a standard deduction, should I always include my medical expenses in turbo tax so that I get a state tax benefit? And if I'm reimbursing myself for my medical expenses via my HSA and taking the standard deduction, can I still legally input my medical expenses in turbo tax to get the state tax benefit? In other words, can I get a state tax deduction on medical expenses reimbursed to me by my HSA. thank you

1 Reply

Oregon Standard deduction - medical expenses

This is the support site for the Canadian TurboTax. For assistance with U.S. versions of TurboTax, please visit: https://ttlc.intuit.com/