Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over-contributed to RRSP, waiting for response from CRA on T3012A form; what do I put in Turbotax for now?

On my 2018 notice of assessment I had a RRSP contribution room of $6,811, so I contributed $6,800 in June 2019.

In October 2019, a past service pension adjustment was issued and my RRSP contribution room dropped to $999. This change means I have now overcontributed.

In December 2019, I snail mailed CRA with a T3012A so they can approve my bank to withdraw the excess contribution of $5801 and waive withholding tax. I have not withdrawn it manually myself because the form says CRA needs to approve this first.

On March 2020, I received reassessments for 2012, 2013 and 2016, so I assume my inquiry triggered a review of my file, but it simply fixed a separate issue (I had forgotten about some unused contributions, and they carried it forward for me). However, I did not receive any information about what to do with my 2019 overcontribution.

So here is my question:

Should I do anything special in Turbotax? For now, I have simply indicated my full RRSP contribution in the software in the absence of any info from CRA, and will leave this issue as pending until I hear a response from the CRA. Just wanted to confirm this is the right thing to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Over-contributed to RRSP, waiting for response from CRA on T3012A form; what do I put in Turbotax for now?

CRA has the following information on the T3012A form itself:

• Reporting the refund on your Income Tax and Benefit Return:

When you complete your Income Tax and Benefit Return for the year you receive the refund, report the total refund of unused contributions that you made to your own or your spouse's or common-law partner's registered plans. The amount is reported on line 12900 of the Income Tax and Benefit Return. You will find this total in box 20 of your own or your spouse's or common-law partner's T4RSP slips. Claim the deduction at line 23200 if the refund is received within the time frame outlined above.

Attach these T4RSP slips and a copy of this form showing the designated refund amount to your Income Tax and Benefit Return. After you have deducted the amount you entered on line 23200 from your income, you cannot deduct it on line 20800 for any year. We will reduce your unused RRSP contributions available to carry forward to later years by the amount of your refund.

So you will not need to do anything on your 2019 tax return if you have not received any refund of your unused contributions in 2019.

Here is a copy of that form with this information at the end of the 2nd page: Tax Deduction Waiver on the Refund of your Unused RRSP, PRPP, or SPP Contributions from your RRSP

View solution in original post

1 Reply

CRA has the following information on the T3012A form itself:

• Reporting the refund on your Income Tax and Benefit Return:

When you complete your Income Tax and Benefit Return for the year you receive the refund, report the total refund of unused contributions that you made to your own or your spouse's or common-law partner's registered plans. The amount is reported on line 12900 of the Income Tax and Benefit Return. You will find this total in box 20 of your own or your spouse's or common-law partner's T4RSP slips. Claim the deduction at line 23200 if the refund is received within the time frame outlined above.

Attach these T4RSP slips and a copy of this form showing the designated refund amount to your Income Tax and Benefit Return. After you have deducted the amount you entered on line 23200 from your income, you cannot deduct it on line 20800 for any year. We will reduce your unused RRSP contributions available to carry forward to later years by the amount of your refund.

So you will not need to do anything on your 2019 tax return if you have not received any refund of your unused contributions in 2019.

Here is a copy of that form with this information at the end of the 2nd page: Tax Deduction Waiver on the Refund of your Unused RRSP, PRPP, or SPP Contributions from your RRSP