Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fuji441
Returning Member

Pension splitting as a deemed resident

TurboTax will not allow my wife to split her pension.  We are both Deemed Residents (I'm a Canadian Armed Forces member posted outside Canada) and the CRA Income Tax  and Benefit Guide for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents states:

Pension income splitting

You may be able to make a joint election with your spouse or common-law partner to split the payments that you reported on line 11500 of your return if you and your spouse or common-law partner were:

• deemed residents of Canada on December 31, 2022 (or residents of Canada on the date of death)

However, TurboTax lists the "Maximum amount of pension that can be split with your spouse" as $0.00.  I'm assuming this is because I selected "Non-resident" (instead of a province) during the Introduction section of Easy Step.  How can I override this to make an election? 

3 Replies

There is more information needed to answer this question. For clarification of this situation, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

fuji441
Returning Member

How do I get TurboTax to "do" the pension splitting?  It won't let me adjust the amount from "0"

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.