Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please explain the difference between GST Taxable, HST Taxable, and Zero Rated in the Expenses which you incurred for the entire home with respect to electricity?

Do I just add my entire electricity bill in the GST column?  or only the GST portion of the bill?  What do I put in the zero rated column?
7 Replies

Please explain the difference between GST Taxable, HST Taxable, and Zero Rated in the Expenses which you incurred for the entire home with respect to electricity?

Same question here ... darn Turbotax is not easy to fill at all, second time I try it within several years, first time I gave up, and this time I am giving up as well 😭 I guess I'll continue with an accountant then :( ...

If you were charged GST, put your expense in the GST column.If you were charged HST, then put it in the HST column. If the expense was zero rated, then put it in the zero rated column, though please note that most things are NOT zero rated.

What if I pay both GST and QST on my electricity? Do I put the total amount of electricity I paid in both columns? 

@Confused999 There is no QST column. You would put your expense in the GST column.

From what I can tell, there is no GST or HST charged for municipal water. Does that mean it is zero-rated, or do I just not include my municipal water expense at all?

@dixius99 If no GST/HST is charged, you can put it under zero-rated/exempt.

iustin79

There is no QST but the question remains valid, because we pay on hydro for example, both GST and HST. So then, do we put the total amount under both? Thank you.