Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidhperkins
Returning Member

Problems with Principal Residence declaration

I'm trying to do my daughter and son-in-law's income tax. They sold their principal residence last summer and bought a different place. When I go through it with Turbotax, I complete the worksheet but then when I am going through the review, it shows an error. Is there a bug in the software?

3 Replies
davidhperkins
Returning Member

Also, I used the instructions for both the Forms method and Easystep (which is a pain in the a** since "Find" doesn't work unless you go start to finish. I had already done all of their taxes using Forms method. Anyway, neither method worked! When I go to Review, it says that information about the house wasn't entered, so has to  be entered again. I end up with two of the same entry for both of them.

One week to go. If I don't get a reply awfully fast, and get this fixed, I'm off to uFile or something else that I know will work.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When the system asks if you would like an email say NO which will bring you to a live person.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

davidhperkins
Returning Member

Hello there. Thanks for the reply. I was able to fix this. For some reason, there were multiple copies of the principal residence form open (not the worksheet). Once I cleared and closed them, it was all good. I have no idea how that happened, but, I am glad it got dealt with.