Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Q: Multiple Returns Split Over Multiple Years?

I noticed Costco carries the "TurboTax 2023 Premier 12 Returns" product. Do all the 12 returns have to be filed for the 2023 tax year or can they be split over multiple years into the future (e.g. 6 for 2023 tax year, 6 for 2024 tax year)?

In other words, if I don't use all the 12 returns do the unused ones basically get "discarded"?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can only use TurboTax 2023 tax software for your 2023 tax return. Yes, if you do not use all the tax returns purchased, the unused ones will stay there blank (be discarded).

Each tax year,  the government makes changes to taxes, so you need to use the tax software for that specific year that you are filing for. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can only use TurboTax 2023 tax software for your 2023 tax return. Yes, if you do not use all the tax returns purchased, the unused ones will stay there blank (be discarded).

Each tax year,  the government makes changes to taxes, so you need to use the tax software for that specific year that you are filing for. 

I bought multiple returns online in 2021, thought I could use it for the following years. Just recently I realized this is totally wrong. There was no place on the page emphasized that multiple returns are *only* for the current year. So frustrating and this is entirely misleading. My money is wasted. Even now, the multiple returns page has just one FAQ, says the app can be installed on up to three computers. Nothing about  the returns are only for a single year. You are continuing misleading new customers to buy more returns while customers do not need at all.

Unfortunately, when the 2021 software is purchased, it is only for 2021 returns. Thank you for your feedback.