Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jwil21
Returning Member

being forced to upgrade from free to premier

I dont understand why I am being forced to upgrade from free to the premier version. I havent sold stocks or bonds or RRSPs, i have a basic return with a T4, T4e, an RRSP, and medical expenses. I have ALWAYS been able to use the free version so why this year am i being forced to upgrade when i have NO changes other than an eligible dependant so not sure why I need to jump from free to 34.99 i dont get. 

3 Replies

We understand why this change may be upsetting. But, in previous years, customers often chose a version of the software that didn’t meet their needs and ended up not getting all the credits & deductions that they could have. This year, TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure that Canadians get the best tax outcome by directing users to the version of TurboTax Online that aligns with their tax situation.

This TurboTax page shows what is included in the Free, Deluxe & Premier versions of TurboTax Online: Online Tax Software

Jwil21
Returning Member

It is still something that shouldn’t be FORCED upon someone. It should be that person's responsibility to choose which one works for them. Also premier I have absolutely NOTHING to claim for me to be forced into that section  It Covers income and expenses from stocks, bonds, and cryptocurrency

Covers rental property income and expenses

Covers capital gains and losses

Handles foreign income  I DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THESE THINGS

Please contact our phone support as they can look over your return with you to see why you were upgraded to Premier. You can use the form on this page to get the right phone number to call: TurboTax Contact Us