Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSTP

Changing the defaut browser from IE to Edge or other browser

Whenever I click on an internet link within TurboTax, InternetExplorer opens it.  Internet Explorer is buggy, and has been replaced by Edge a while back.  Why can't I specify the browser I want to use with TurboTax (installed in Win10)?

4 Replies

Firstly, if you are using an internet browser you are not using a downloaded version. As you mention “installed”...... there is no installation to any browser you use.  You will not need any browser if you have downloaded the software to your computer.

Now how to specify the browser you want to use go to your computer - Settings – Apps  - then default apps and find whatever browser you want to use and make it your default. (There may be a different path on your computer based on the operating system you are running).

JSTP

I have downloaded and installed the program on the PC.  I did say "Whenever I click on an internet link within TurboTax..."  If you have ever used the Turbo Tax application, there are links that take you to the internet and IE opens by default.

You said "You will not need any browser if you have downloaded the software to your computer."  This is false.  A lot of the resources offered within the app are hosted on the Intuit server, with URL/links found within the installed App.

For example, on the top right of the screen, click "Support".  A support window opens within the app (not a browser).  In that window, you have 2 choices: Online Support Site and Live Community.  Click on "Ask a Question" under the Live Community section and Internet Explorer opens, instead of Edge or in my case, Chrome since I have that set as my default.  

Intuit should change those links so that they use our default browser, or offer a setting/preference for us to specify which browser to use alongside the app or code it so that Edge is used instead of IE if they insist on a microsoft browser.

You are correct, within the product you will have the option to use a browser if you are searching for help.  Your comments are duly noted and will be brought forth to our product team. 

bretonbt
Returning Member

I am trying to register the Windows product that I downloaded and installed. It fails to open the browser and crashes. I tried with FFox and Chrome as defaults.

If I click "Contact us" the browser opens.