Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anjaegger

CRA is reviewing my T2209 E line 431. I can't figure out how the amount has been calculated?

1 Reply

CRA is reviewing my T2209 E line 431. I can't figure out how the amount has been calculated?

The amount shown on Line 431 of the T2209 - Federal Foreign Tax Credits form is Non-business income tax paid to a foreign country and is usually not a calculated amount. Only if you had withholding tax in excess of 15% deducted, and deducted the excess on line 232 of the tax return as a 20(11) deduction would this amount differ from the entries you made from your T-slips.

You should submit any T-slips which you had Foreign Income and tax withheld (such as T3s or T5s) to CRA to document your deduction on Line 431. If this information did not come from a slip, provide them with the documentation for which this information was obtained.

If you did make a 20(11) deduction you would have likely have had to make a manual entry and make an override in the software to enter it. If this is the case, CRA would like an explanation and verification of your calculations.