Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dobster1

Entering employment expenses with T2200 does not work - software bug?

Hi,

I wonder if I stumbled across a bug.

When I enter my employment expenses, the calculations on taxes owed/due do not change.

And then on the deductions summary page - it says employment expenses 0.

I tried entering expenses in any boxes and it is still not working.

This is on the Standard version of Turbotax.

I wonder if this is a software bug?

16 Replies

I am having the exact same problem choosing either T2200 or T2200S. Neither way shows employment expenses on the summary. Yet on my husband's, it shows up when we use the flat rate method for Covid work from home expenses. 

Tried talking to support today and couldn't get anywhere. 

dobster1

Hi,

This truly feels like a bug in the free version of Turbotax. Even after upgrade to Standard the problem remained.

What worked for me was to scrap this return altogether, start a new return, choose Standard from the get-go and then it just worked.
It feels like a bug-on-purpose, honestly...

Good luck!

The catch is that mine was the paid version, accessed online 🙂

Check to ensure that at the bottom of your T4 where it says did you have employment related expenses you select, Yes. If you had multiple T4, select Yes on all that apply.

I went back to double check and it was checked yes.  I also started at this point and went through the tax form step by step and it still didn't register the answers I gave for the T2200 questions. 

In fact, I did a little test, and tried to do the flat rate instead.  That gets included at the summary.   I then went back and changed my answers to the T2200 ones instead, and the summary still just keeps the amount from the flat rate.  It doesn't seem to be connecting the those pages, to the final information, like it's not registering those answers.  

I am having the same error.

I select T2200 input all the information and nothing works.

I then try the flat rate method or the T2200S method and both of those work.

Can you help solve this issue?

I tried a brand new return and the same thing happened again. 

I finally had a tech person from TurboTax look at it. On your T4 entry,  at the very bottom, you do not tick off that you have expenses related to Covid if you want to use the normal T2200.   I put 'no' and then it finally worked!

JDean1

I just want to say thanks for this info a year later - I was going crazy trying to figure this out. Hopefully keeps the thread fresh for the next person googling this.

I have purchased Standard version and tried to enter the "Option 1" with flat rate of $2 for the number of days worked from home.  No matter what I am doing is not working. The form is not updating. Please HELP.