Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file when you've permanently moved from USA to Canada mid-year

I am Canadian citizen. I lived and worked in USA (Illinois) from January 1 to June 15 on a visa. I then moved back to Canada and now work full time in Toronto.  I own property in Canada, but not US.

- Can i use Turbo Tax, assuming I need to fill in USA and Canada separately, and there isnt a joint version?

- Do I need to declare my US salary in Canada and vice versa?

- Do I need to fill out US before Canada, Canada before USA? Does it matter?
- Anything else I should know?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I moved from USA to Canada mid year in 2016 under similar circumstances, here is what I did:

- bought both us and canada turbotax

- filled out canadian turbotax based on part year

- filled out us turbotax based on full year, but claimed credit for canadian taxes paid

- submitted both, both governments were OK, although the canadians demanded some extra paperwork

Some tips:

- in canada, you only owe capital gains based on the cost of investments on the day you became canadian resident again

- you also have to file FBARs to us government

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Although I cannot advise you what you need to do with your US tax return,  the following link is to purchase your US software https://turbotax.intuit.com/.

Click the following link for assistance from the USA - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/turbotax-support/help/03/313

The American tax deadline is April 15th, whereas the Canadian tax deadline is April 30th for individuals.

Please keep in mind that both these tax returns are filed on separate websites, one is Canadian (.ca) and the other is American (.com), when you are doing your taxes make sure you are on the right site to avoid confusion.

Can i use Turbo Tax, assuming I need to fill in USA and Canada separately, and there isnt a joint version?

Yes, you can use TurboTax to file your Canadian and American return but it will be different software. And yes you will need to file both returns separately.

Do I need to declare my US salary in Canada and vice versa?

Yes, you will need to advise the IRS, as well as the CRA of your salary as well as your foreign income. Please review the links below to assist you further with what you need to declare.

Please keep in mind, you will have to contact our US counterparts for what needs to be declared as foreign income on the American tax return.

So I would advise that you get them both done but make sure your US return is completed and ready to be filed by April 15th.

When I moved from USA to Canada mid year in 2016 under similar circumstances, here is what I did:

- bought both us and canada turbotax

- filled out canadian turbotax based on part year

- filled out us turbotax based on full year, but claimed credit for canadian taxes paid

- submitted both, both governments were OK, although the canadians demanded some extra paperwork

Some tips:

- in canada, you only owe capital gains based on the cost of investments on the day you became canadian resident again

- you also have to file FBARs to us government

You can use TurboTax to file your income tax return.  You will report your foreign income and claim the foreign taxes paid on your Canadian tax return.