Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Fill out form T777S if I moved during 2020 and if the hours I worked at home Changed

So I am trying to fill out T777S for myself and my wife but I am running into difficulties.

First, we moved in Oct 2020, going from renting to owning. So our workspace sizes changed

Second, my wife hours changed from working full time at home for the first 4 months to working 50% at home and 50% at the workplace for the last 5 months of the year.

The CRA website says to calculate the spaces and expenses separately and then add them together on the T777S. But when filling out the T777S it asks for workspace information for only one of the spaces and auto-calculates the rest.  There is no way for me to add the separately calculated expenses for the different work space and work hours onto one T777S form.

In Summary:

I have 2 workspaces calculations: 1 common space in the rented house, 1 designated space in the new owned home.

My wife has 3 workspace calculations: 1 common space in the rented house while working full time at home, 1 common space in the rented home while working 50% from home and 50% at work, 1 common space in the new owned home.

How can I capture this in one T777S for each of us.

4 Replies
ReniaTax
Returning Member

How to Fill out form T777S if I moved during 2020 and if the hours I worked at home Changed

I have basically the same question.  I moved from one rental to another during 2020 and the percentage of space used it different.  The amount of utilities are different.  How do I capture both of these on one T777S form?  Is there a way to fill in 2 T777S forms.  I don't see a way in TurboTax.

So for the actual t777s form, you don't need to provide the calculation for percent space use. Only the numbered lines are required. In which case, you could do the math yourself using the government website calculator. That calculator tells what to put in each line. You would sum the values for each line and put that into the t777s. 

In TurboTax, you would have to override the fields in form view and manually put the numbers in. This might make it so you are unable to netfile.

The other solution world be to work backwards. Work out the amounts for each place and add them up. You know your average hours worked per week and can work out what % of the week is claimable. Now you can work out the % workspace you need for the numbers to work out.

Formula: claim amount / (%week worked * %workspace claimable)

If you get audited, you'll have the breakdown for each place to provide the CRA already.

ReniaTax
Returning Member

Thanks - I ended up doing the second method.  I already had a spreadsheet where I did all the calculations separately for both places, so I knew what the total work-space-in-the-home expenses should be.   I added up all my expenses at both locations and entered them on t777s.  Then, using the square foot area of the second place I lived, I calculated what the % area used for work would have to be to get the total work-space-in-the-home expenses. 

I'll keep my spreadsheet for the CRA should they ask.

However, it seems strange that TurboTax doesn't let you fill in 2 t777s forms.  That would make it much simpler and would describe the situation correctly.

You are only supposed to submit one form. Turbo tax should remove the auto calculation for work space and just let you enter the amounts in the appropriate lines.