Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdeperio
Returning Member

How to indicate non-resident spouse with SIN?

The posts I've read so far suggest to input SIN 000-000-000 to indicate non-resident status. However, inputting this (or her actual SIN) does not actually consider her a non-resident in 2020 and I can't find any option to specify that she is a non-resident.

There's a step for specifying my own province of residence in the sidebar, as in the following screen shot, but no corresponding page for my spouse. Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v4y0yb6z3z51oy/Screen%20Shot%202021-04-21%20at%2012.07.42%20PM.png

5 Replies

After filling your information, you will be asked to fill your spouse's information, it will say Now, let's get "your spouse name" 's information, on this same page you will be asked Are you a Canadian citizen? *, answer this question as NO.  Select the option that best describes "your spouse's name" residency status as of December 31, 2021"as I was a non-resident of Canada and select her country of residence on December 31, 2021? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not see that option

@Anonymous Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

bsareturn

I am using TurboTax online and my wife is a non-resident of Canada. I can enter her information but it is insisting on a SIN Number for Canada, which of course she does not have.

It won't let me got forward without a SIN number which is pretty silly.

There is no option to select non-resident or whatever.

How do I dealwith this supposedly simple issue?

You would enter all zeros as she doesn't have a SIN number nor in Canada. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.