Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NH19
Returning Member

Inheritance of USA cash from an IRA

I opted to receive cask instead of an IRA after the death of my sister. The US bank withheld 30% as USA tax. Will I have to pay Canadian income tax on this?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Canada does not tax beneficiaries on the money as an inheritance. There is no inheritance tax in Canada. However any income subsequently derived from those monies such as from investments can be taxed as it is income. The tax withheld in the US may or may not be claimed back based on the US/Canada tax treaty and possible filing of US tax return but that is a complex issue best left for US tax professionals. Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Tax treaties between the US & Canada exist that are meant to prevent double taxation. But there are certain cases when income from the US can be taxed in Canada. We would recommend that you consult with someone knowledgeable in cross-border taxation to see how this income will impact your taxes. You can also ask the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank You,

NH19
Returning Member

Sending people to other tax expert or the CRA to search for answer is not useful. 

Canada does not tax beneficiaries on the money as an inheritance. There is no inheritance tax in Canada. However any income subsequently derived from those monies such as from investments can be taxed as it is income. The tax withheld in the US may or may not be claimed back based on the US/Canada tax treaty and possible filing of US tax return but that is a complex issue best left for US tax professionals. Hope that helps.