Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line 229, I know I to put in the amount in Other Employment Expense. But which box should I enter the amount? GST or HST or all three boxes?

4 Replies

Line 229, I know I to put in the amount in Other Employment Expense. But which box should I enter the amount? GST or HST or all three boxes?

You will enter expenses in the column based on the tax that you paid.  If you are in HST province, mist likely all your expenses were subject to  HST - then you will enter it in the HST column.

If you are in GSt province- you will select GSt column, and if you  happened to have some receipts that you were not charged HST or GST you  will  enter it in the column that had no HST 

Alisa_Singh1
Intuit Alumni

To decide which box to enter your expenses in, you first need to determine whether you're eligible to claim a GST/HST rebate:

If you're claiming employment expenses, you may be able to claim a rebate of the GST, HST, or QST you paid on them.

As an employee, you may qualify for a GST/HST rebate if:
  • you paid GST or HST on certain employment-related expenses and deducted those expenses on your income tax and benefit return; and
  • your employer is a GST/HST registrant.
You don't qualify for a GST/HST rebate if your employer:
  • is not a GST/HST registrant; or
  • is a listed financial institution.

If you are eligible for a GST/HST rebate, separate your employment expenses into those on which you paid GST, those on which you paid HST, and those on which you did not pay tax (zero-rated or exempt), and enter them into the appropriate box. Whether you paid GST or HST is determined by the province in which you paid those expenses (e.g. the maritime provinces and Ontario have HST, while Alberta has GST).

Karen633

How can i gind it

Can you please clarify what you are asking so that we can assist you.