Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Reciepts (and optimizer) is not working correctly - I am stuck

I inputted 47 medical receipts covering eleven months (June 2020 to April 2021). 

When I used the optimizer to see how I was doing, it only added up to the first 43 entries (to $38,781).

I then consolidated some of the receipts, reducing the stack to less than 43.  Same result limiting at $38,781.

While the optimizer is open, I can move the red line to 30th April 2021, and the worksheet responds correctly, displaying the correct total, but the optimizer flatlines at $38,781.

When I close the optimizer, the worksheet reverts to reporting from 20 March 2020 to 19th Mar 2021 (when it hits the $38,781 limit).

Background info; Tax return for a married couple with more than sufficient tax owed to not limit the above claim.

2 Replies

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Not a very helpful answer.  However, I have figured out a workaround for a piece of software that is clearly poorly programmed and not functioning correctly in this area.

Quicktax optimizer was selecting myself (the primary left-hand taxpayer) to claim the medical costs, but I had changed this on the medical expense worksheet (or the optimizer?) to my spouse (taxwise, there is no difference).  As above, the optimizer was blocked from selecting the correct 12 month period.  If I then changed the dates on my spouse's (secondary, right-hand taxpayer) medical expense worksheet (the intuitive form to adjust because it had been selected), then the problem persisted.  If however, I go to my (the primary left-hand tax-payer) medical expenses worksheet and manually change the dates, then the dates remain selected and the total now adds up correctly to the full total, then I can switch to my spouse claiming the expenses.

The issue is solved for me since I know the exact twelve-month period that I want to use and do not need to run the optimizer.  I leave it up to TurboTax to troubleshoot further to understand if there is a fault in the optimizer, or if it was changing the claimant that blocked things from working.