Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax not accepting ANY industry codes

So, despite using the same industry code with Turbotax last year, and despite choosing a multitude of industry codes using Turbotax's "Guide Me" option, I am always told I have entered an incorrect industry code. So, I'm confused and very frustrated. I tried calling the help line and got a busy signal.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I already got a refund and switched to a competitor, which is free and easier to use, and it works.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

What is the industry you are in and what code are you trying to use? Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

For more information, please visit Canada Revenue Agency website: Industry Codes.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I already got a refund and switched to a competitor, which is free and easier to use, and it works.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2022 TurboTax Home & Business CD Program.

It also says the following - "If you are filing your return electronically, you have to use the industry codes from your tax preparation software.

Only use the industry codes listed below if you are filing your Income Tax and Benefit Return on paper."

So since the Industry Code on the CRA website says that I should use 454300 on paper, what code do I use for electronically return/Netfile?

Go here and you can find a link for a full excel spreadsheet from the 2022 update.  I found my new code and it worked. https://www.statcan.gc.ca/en/subjects/standard/naics/2022/v1/index

Thanks so much for this information - I was going insane trying to figure out why it wasn't working. You'd think Stats Canada would update their searchable database. Thank you again!

parchem64

I am trying to do the same thing, frustration that Turbo Tax cannot help with their code. I have tried 13 different codes and none works. After years of using them, I may have to go to another tax software.

They say that Stats Can never gave them a code with 454 starting. Crazy. If anybody has any ideas, I'm open

Hi just spent half a day troubleshooting this with Canada Revenue Agency, Turbo Tax Help team and the program.  Been using Turbo Tax for 20 years and never had so much difficulty.     The last person I spoke with at Turbo Tax was able to direct me.  Fixed the problem.  The link to CRA for the NAICS in Turbo Tax is not good.  Use the link to Stats Can:  https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=1369825

You will have to drill down until you get  to the 6 digit code.  CRA says to use the code that represents 50% or more of your business income.

Good Luck