Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pedro R
Returning Member

Visitor in Canada with savings bank account, how to report interest capital gains

Hi, I've been living in Canada as a visitor for more than 185 days.  I had to open a Canadian savings bank account to transfer money from abroad to keep supporting my means of living during my extended stay with my son but this money is generating capital gains through monthly interests. Do I need to report this? and if yes, can I use TurboTax for this purpose.

5 Replies
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Visitor in Canada with savings bank account, how to report interest capital gains

As long as you are not a Canadian citizen, carry a permanent resident status, or you don't have residential ties in Canada (house, investment in Canada, a wife who lives in Canada, etc), and the income you are receiving is not from a Canadian source, you don't have to report this income. 

I hope this was helpful

Pedro R
Returning Member

Could the monthly interest I'm receiving in my Canadian Bank account, be considered a Canadian source?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Yes, If you have a saving account that gives you interests and you have been in the country for more than 183 days, you will need to file a tax return to report Canadian income only. If you have Canadian citizenship or permanent residence status, you will need to report your world income.

I hope this was helpful

Apof

That scenario is the same as mine but I was in Canada 2 times. My first stay was less than 185 days (around 170)  as well as my second one (around 90 days). They were in different years. Is the 185-day period you said considered alone or as a sum of all my stays?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

The 183 days should be continuous and calculated per year. Check this link for more info:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/foreign-income-and-tax-treaties-6219

I hope this was helpful