Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doreen4

Reporting sale of vehicle used for business using only mileage expense entire time of ownership

Sold vehicle used for business for $8,000 in 2022.  Paid $36,000 for vehicle in 2007.  Only used vehicle for business an average of 25% of total mileage (never over 50%) so always used business mileage expense method.  Total amount of mileage attributed to depreciation is $4,833.  Since basis ($36,000 less depreciation of $4,833) is more than what we sold it for, there should not be a gain.  But when I enter information into Turbo tax it calculates a gain.  Below is both ways I've tried reporting sale.  

As reported in Business Expenses                                  As reported in "Sale of Business Property" section      25% of price paid for vehicle in 2007 - $9,000                     Full price paid - $36,000.

25% of Sale price -                                    $2,000                     Full sale price    $8,000

Depreciation declared.                            $4,833                     Depreciation     $4,833

Loss                                                             -$2,167                     Loss                    -$23,167

Last year I also sold a vehicle and had this problem.  I was advised that because of vehicle's age, Turbotax assumed vehicle had been totally depreciated and that a way to work around it was to remove vehicle for personal use and then report in "Sale of Business Property" section which I did.  Since it did not result in a gain, Turbotax removed the sale from the return.  This year I tried to do the same thing, but Turbotax said I needed to recapture the depreciation of $4,833 which causes an increase in taxes owed.

Also, I did not use vehicle for business before it was sold in 2022 so entered -0- miles but am getting error because it requires more than -0- to be entered even when vehicle removed for personal use/sold.

Thank you for help.

1 Reply

Reporting sale of vehicle used for business using only mileage expense entire time of ownership

TurboTax experts are available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., ET, Monday to Friday (except holidays). Actual connection times and availability may vary. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance please call 1-888-829-8608.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.