Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shayajamal
Returning Member

RESP withdrawal on T4A slip

I entered my RESP educational assistance payment $9,00.00 in box 42 of the T4A slip. This amount includes my own contribution and a portion of CES Grant amount. As a result of this amount, I have a tax balance due $ 1,500.00. Not sure why my  portion (majority) of the RESP that is my savings and not income, should be taxed. Wondering if there is any recourse and if I really to have to enter the amount in the T4A slip. Thank you.

2 Replies
kodyman

Did you figure this out?  My daughter has a similar issue with $4500 paid to her through her RESP.  The T4A box 42 states $4500 which when input goes directly to the taxable income and is fully taxable.  Another statement the investment company sent out shows the income at $3775.87 and the CESG at $724.13.  I think the box 42 should state the $724.13 not the grand total $4500.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

The interest gained on the contribution and all the grants are taxed in the hand of the beneficiary. Make sure that the amount reported in Box 42 includes the CESG and the interest earned on the contribution. 

If The child decides not to pursue a post-secondary education:

• The government grants will be returned 
  • The contribution is returned back to the contributor tax-free
  • the contributor pays taxes on the income growth (earned interest) portion + 20% special tax

I hope this was helpful