Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeyneil

Schedule 11 form line16

Hi everyone, I'm trying to fill out the Schedule 11 form because I need to send this form for reviewing purposes. On line 1, my unused federal tuition from 2019 assessment is around 10,000, and on line 2 (line 32000), my eligible tuition for 2020 is around 40000.

My question is that my personal income is 0, so I have to write 0 from line 10 to line 15, resulting in that I have to write 0 on the line 16, but line 16( the total tuition and the textbook amount claimed by me in 2020) is definitely not equal to 0(if I understand it correctly),  line 16 should either equal to the amount of my tuition this year(40000), or my total unused tuition credit, which is 10000+40000=50000.

Also, I have questions about the line 24, too. Should the amount to carry forward equal to 10000(the unused tuition from 2019,) or 50000(10000+40000)

1 Reply

Schedule 11 form line16

Please check Understanding Tuition Tax Credits.

You don’t have to claim the whole tuition amount this year. The information about the unused tuition is being tracked by the CRA and the amount is reported on the Notice of Assessment, which you can view in My Account. The CRA would be including your carry-forward tuition amount as needed towards your future income until it is all used up.

Since your current personal income is 0, you cannot claim tuition fees on your own tax return for the year 2020. That is the reason line 16 will be zero as well.

You can transfer the unused tuition to your spouse/partner, parent or grandparent, or to their spouse’s parent or grandparent. Or you can carry forward the whole amount until you receive income and thus you can claim your unused tuition fees in the future years. If you do not transfer the claim on your tuition fees, the carry forward amount would be the total amount ($50,000).

Please check the following FAQs for more information:

TurboTax: Frequently asked questions about transferring and carrying forward tuition and education amounts

CRA: Transfer or carry forward tuition amount

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.