Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brady47

Self-Employed GST Rebate?

I am self-employed and work in a clinic as an independent contractor and one of my expenses on my T2125 is overhead, for which I pay HST as well.

Am I eligible to complete a GST370 form with the overhead as my expense to get a HST rebate?

To be clear, I don't have a T777 form because I am self employed, although the company I work for does have an HST number.

5 Replies

Please see our TurboTax article for information: Did You Know You Can Claim The GST/HST Rebate On Your Expenses?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

brady47

Thank you. I am not an employee but an independent contractor working for a clinic and have a T2125 , not a T777.

Does this mean the GST/HST rebate for GST370 form does not apply?

@TurboTaxGinette 

The GST370 form only applies to employees who are claiming "Employment Expenses" on their tax return. If you are an independent contractor you should have your own GST# so you can claim the GST you paid on your own expenses. 

brady47

@TurboTaxGinette thank you! 

My services as I am in healthcare are exempt from GST (so $0) and I only have 1 expense that I pay GST for (overhead).

Do I still get the GST rebate for my overhead expenses if my services are exempt from GST? 

That is your decision to make if you think you are paying out more GST on your expenses and wish to receive the GST back.