Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I use TurboTax for tax return

Hi,I'm a new comer to Canada in 2023 August, should I use TurboTax for tax return? Since somebody told me I need to use paper form and mail to CRA in the first year; and my wife got a NR4 form, does TurboTax Standard version able to handle it? Thank you.

3 Replies

Yes, you can use TurboTax Standard to do your return and yes you will need to mail in your tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) by post. Please see our TurboTax video for more information: Tax Tips for Newcomers

To enter the NR4 information please follow the instructions below.
For each gross income amount:

1. Compare the income code shown in the boxes with the list of codes on the back of your NR4 slip. This code tells you what type of income the amount represents.
2. Open the in-product help and click the Search tab.
3. In the search field, enter the description you have found on the back of your NR4 slip and click List Topics.
4. In the list of topics found for your search term, choose the topic that most closely describes your income type. Follow the instructions on where to enter the amount in TurboTax.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi Ginette, thank you for your prompt reply! I've watched that YouTube video but still confusing, is that means I can use TurboTax do my tax return and there will have a option to print out my tax profile, then I mail it to CRA?

And my last question is TurboTax Standard (download version) still able to use in next financial year (2024-2025)? or I should purchase a new one in every year? Thank you. 

Yes, you will be able to use TurboTax to do your return and you will have the option to print and mail your return to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) when you're done. Every year the returns are different as per the CRA because the credits, deductions and amounts, etc. change. A new return/software needs to be purchased every year. The previous year software will not be usable to file your 2024 tax return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.