Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spousal amount and tuition transfer to parent

Hi,

I want to transfer all $5k of my federal tuition credits to one of my parents. I'm filling out a joint return with my spouse. I've entered the tuition transfer in EasyStep but during review I get a error that I must transfer unused tuition to my spouse/partner b/c they're claiming the spousal amount.

I can see line 30300 on her T1 is populated and it's coming from schedule 5 line 5. If I override line 5 to be 0 then the Easystep error goes away however then it says I can't netfile.

Is doing this override the correct way to solve this problem? Is it true that I won't be able to netfile in my particular case?

EDIT: Realized I might've posted in the wrong place and that an answer already exists on these forums.

Thanks

2 Replies
AACSLP

I have unused federal tuition credit that I do not need to decrease my tax owed and would like to transfer it to my parent. However the turbo tax says that I have 0 to transfer eve though I have 1298.74 available. Why cant I transfer it?

@AACSLP is the tuition carried forward from a previous year? You can only transfer tuition in the year it's first claimed. Tuition from previous years can't be transferred.