Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ST1911

T4 vs Releve1

Releve1 has an amount in box J (Private Health Insurable Plan) which is also included in the total of Box A. However, on the T4 this amount is not included anywhere. How can I enter the box J amount to be included as part of Employment Income and then later I can claim this as a medical expense but recognizing that I need to enter it manually. In past years, Turbo Tax allowed the input of the entire Releve1 statement which made things so much easier.

7 Replies

T4 vs Releve1

Do you live outside of Quebec but work there? Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

ST1911

T4 vs Releve1

Yes, I live in Ontario but work in Quebec. I am using Turbo Tax Premier Online Edition.

T4 vs Releve1

The amount in Box J of the RL-1 slip is for Quebec purposes only. These Private Health Plan contributions are not taxable for federal purposes, which is why they don't appear on the T4 slip.

ST1911

T4 vs Releve1

They are however a medical expense if included in employment income. In the past, Turbo Tax allowed the full entry of the Releve1 which thereby allowed the inclusion of the Box J as part of income. Is there not a way that I can enter the full Releve 1 info?

T4 vs Releve1

No, there is no way to enter the full Releve1 if you don't live in Quebec. 

You can enter the health insurance premiums in the Medical Expenses part of the return.

ST1911

T4 vs Releve1

Thanks, I am aware of that. My challenge is to enter the Box J amount as part of Employment Income.

T4 vs Releve1

Again, the health insurance premiums are not taxable on the federal level, so you would end up paying tax on something that shouldn't be taxed.

Also, if you change your T4, the CRA would likely just change it back, since it doesn't match the T4 that they have on file.

If you think that there is something incorrect on your T4 slip, then you can contact your employer to verify if that is the case. Then they can get you a corrected slip if needed.