Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eleanor11

T4A Box 028 triggering self employed profile but I don't have a business

I receive T4As for commissions earned by suppliers.  The T4As from the supplier are under box 028.  previous years, I have filed this with no problem, but this year it wants me to enter a business name.  This is causing an error preventing me from Netfiling.  

2 Replies

If your T4A slip has something in box 28 & the income declared consists of fees collected for services you provided, then this would be considered self-employment income. In that case you would need to fill out the self-employment part of TurboTax before you can file. You can get there by using the “Find” tool (magnifying glass) to search for “self”. Select “Self-Employment” and then click the “Go” button. There should already be a business started with your T4A income. You only need to fill out the basics, and you can use your own name, address, etc… The only thing you might not know is what your industry code is, which you can look for here: https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/subjects/standard/naics/2017/v3/index

If the amount in box 28 & the income ISN’T fees collected for services you provided, you can change the option on your T4A. Use the “Find” tool (magnifying glass) to search for “t4a” and select it from the list. Then click the “Go” button. Click “Edit” next to the T4a that you want to change. Scroll down to Box 028, and underneath it, select NO in the drop down. Click Continue to save. This should remove the requirement to fill out the self-employment form.

Pebblegirl
Returning Member

I tried the step described below and it did not work for me. The box was already defaulted to NO so I chose YES and saved the answer, then went back in and changed the answer to NO and saved that. Then the NO registered and worked.  Hope this helps others! 

Thank you