Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax category for claiming subscription software as a business expense?

I am a self-employed wedding photographer who uses Adobe Creative Cloud and Google Drive for my business.

I pay for both of these on a subscription basis. One I pay monthly, the other I pay yearly.

I can't seem to figure out which category to put these expenses under on my return. The two that seem to make the most sense to me are either 8810- Office Expenses or 8811- Office Supplies.

I also purchased Microsoft Office outright (not as a subscription), and I suspect that will fall under the same category as my Adobe and Google software subscriptions, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can put your software subscriptions in either place. Just remember to keep a copy of your receipts just in case the CRA asks for them. So if you only have electronic copies, consider saving them to a hard drive or another secure location.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can put your software subscriptions in either place. Just remember to keep a copy of your receipts just in case the CRA asks for them. So if you only have electronic copies, consider saving them to a hard drive or another secure location.

Great! I think I put it into one of those categories last year, as well. I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly this year.

I always print out all of my receipts for them, so I'm good on that front!

Thanks for your help.