Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjcanada

My daughter does not owe any taxes for the current year, yet her maximum tuition amount available to transfer OR to carry forward is $0. Should it not be up to $5,000?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter does not owe any taxes for the current year, yet her maximum tuition amount available to transfer OR to carry forward is $0. Should it not be up to $5,000?

The amount available for transfer is based on the students taxable income. It is possible that she had to use tuition credits on her own return to reduce tax payable to zero. This could be the case if her employment income was high then $11809.

If she is reporting income from Box 105 on a T4A slip make sure to choose the Box 105 that meets her particular education situation. There are multiple boxes to choose from and each has different consequences on the tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The amount available for transfer is based on the students taxable income. It is possible that she had to use tuition credits on her own return to reduce tax payable to zero. This could be the case if her employment income was high then $11809.

If she is reporting income from Box 105 on a T4A slip make sure to choose the Box 105 that meets her particular education situation. There are multiple boxes to choose from and each has different consequences on the tax return.