Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike421

The status bar that provides 2015 Balance Due or Tax Refund is not reflecting correct amounts? Is there a problem with the calculation?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The status bar that provides 2015 Balance Due or Tax Refund is not reflecting correct amounts? Is there a problem with the calculation?

If these large deductions are non-refundable tax credits, you will not see a change in a refund amount once your tax payable is reduced to nil.  Non-refundable credits will not increase a refund.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If these large deductions are non-refundable tax credits, you will not see a change in a refund amount once your tax payable is reduced to nil.  Non-refundable credits will not increase a refund.

merkathi

What if they are refundable credits that usually make a difference to the amount but this year don't seem to make a difference. For instance, shouldn't entering child care costs make a different to the amount owing or credit? And charitable donations too normally increase my refund but this year seem to have no impact whatsoever....
merkathi

Thanks for explaining it so clearly! I understand now. 🙂

If you are already getting a refund, non-refundable tax credits might not increase the refund.  They only come into play if you still have tax owing or have paid tax..  You can use them to decrease the tax you owe to nil.  If your tax is already at zero you will not benefit from N-R credits.  You can check by clicking the review tab>bottom line summary and scroll down to detailed tax summary.
merkathi

thanks, this helps clarify, it now appears to be behaving as you describe
merkathi

This is happening to me too. It isn't updating when I add more deductions - large deductions that should change the amount of tax refund have no impact. It is like the counter on the side of the screen is broken. 

Same for me. I have exceeded the standard deduction and my 1098 info did not change refund amount nor did the donation import from its deductible change the amount. Is there a bug in the software?

Is the 1098 form a US form?  If so, you will get better assistance on the US forum www.turbotax.com
This is the Canadian forum.

Without mentioning what part of the program is not calculating correctly, or why you think it is incorrect, it is very hard to say.