Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charlotteg7598
Returning Member

Third Stimulus Payment

Hi all,

I'm freaking out a little bit right now and hope to get some help. For my 2021 taxes, I did not receive the third stimulus payment automatically, and I thought I was eligible so I claimed it on my return last year because I thought I could no longer be claimed as a dependent. However, it has come to my attention that for purposes of the stimulus, a dependent be up to age 24 and enrolled full time in college, and living with another taxpayer who provides at least one half of support and still be claimed as a dependent (I was only 23). And, to be eligible for your own third stimulus check, I read that you must have filed for taxes for either 2019 or 2020 independently (not claimed as a dependent), which I was claimed in both of those years. So, it appears I may have erroneously claimed the credit. I may also have forgotten to claim a small amount of bank interest that wasn't enough for me to get a form 1099-INT, and left out a 1099-Q that I got for probably an even smaller amount.

What should I do?? The IRS hasn't said anything to me and it's been almost a year. Should I file an amended return, and if so, does that increase my chances of an audit? Can they charge interest and penalties on top of having me return the $1400? I really need some advice because I'm super anxious about this...thank you. 🙂

1 Reply

Third Stimulus Payment

This is the support site for the Canadian TurboTax. For assistance with U.S. taxes and U.S. versions of TurboTax, please visit the website for TurboTax USA.