Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjoannis

TP-59 Line 56 Computed amount incorrect

The amount that Turbo Tax computed for line 56 of schedule TP-59 is incorrect; it doesn't take into account that the shared use space are only used 10% of the time for working from home.  The amount is correct on the Federal form (line 48 of T777), but on TP-59, I end up with a deduction 10 times too high because only the percent of space is used in the computation; not the percent of space and percent of time. 

I could correct this by entering only 10% of the amounts on lines 42 to 46 of the T777 (by using the functionality of enter a different amount for Quebec) - but that shouldn't be the solution.

Thanks

3 Replies

Please try reinstalling TurboTax using the download from our website.  You can download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition here:  Choose the 2023 TurboTax edition you need (for Windows). If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

rjoannis

As suggested, I have contacted your help line, and was told that the program is computing the amounts correctly and that only the percent of space and not also the percent of time is to be used.

I have just contacted Revenue Quebec, and they have told me that your interpretation is incorrect. If a room is only used part of the time for working from home, then that percentage of time must also be used to compute the deduction for working from home.

As an illustration, if for working from home you use 200 square feet of your 1000 square feet appartement (20%) and you use a common room (e.g. dinning room) for 17 hours our of 168 hours a week (10.11%). Then the percent of your rent, utilities, etc... that you can deduct is roughly 2% - not 20% which is what your sheet  Q777 does. The amount turbotax computes is correct for the federal forms, but incorrect for the Quebec form. 

I suggest you validate this with Revenue Quebec and update your program. 

We appreciate your feedback and we will send this to our development team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.