Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax 2023 Refundable medical expenses supplement - is there an error with the calculation?

T1 General line 45200 is net zero (Refundable medical expense supplement (use Federal Worksheet) is not calculating properly. There was a change in the way the Medical expenses are calculated from 2022 to 2023. If you go to the Refundable Medical Expense Supplement (REFMED) form, the calculations are completely different. When you get to "Enter whichever is less: $1,399 or line 18" the line #19  picks of $1,399 as expected. Line #20 captures amount from line #13 which is $0 which is also expected. No problem so far. But when you get to line #21, the instruction says "Line 19 minus line 20 (if negative, enter "0"). Enter this amount on line 45200 of your return". So far so good right? Well, when I looked at the 2022 form it gives similar instructions and does the calculation correctly. In the 2023 form based on this information pushes "0" value. If you are minus'g 1,399 from 0 isnt the value 1,399? The instructions say if zero enter "0". What am I missing here? I have about $20,000 of medical expenses and to have none of credited is surprising.

3 Replies

TurboTax 2023 Refundable medical expenses supplement - is there an error with the calculation?

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If a resolution is not found, please ask for an escalation to investigate and find one.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi there, thanks for looking into this. I believe I figured it out with the help of AI. There is an self-employment income threshold of $4,083 in 2023. If you don't meet this threshold then you will not qualify for the credit. I suspect the software is working as expected since it would have built this into the formula. Thanks again. I would consider this resolved.

Thank you for the update. We appreciate it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.