Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax is incorrectly claiming the "Canada Employment Amount". Please help !

I'm completing a return for my 93 yr old retired mother-in-law.   She only has CPP/OAS and some pension income - all from T-slips.   She has no employment income.    We used AutoFill to import all her T-slips.   One of her T4A slips reports "Premiums paid to a group term life insurance plan".    I wonder if this be why TurboTax is trying to claim the Canada Employment Amount ?     Regardless, how do stop TurboTax from claiming the Canada Employment Amount ?

2 Replies

Yes, it may be the T4A slip that is triggering it. But if you want to opt out of the credit, click on Find (magnifying glass) in the top right-hand corner. Type "Canada" in the box, then select "Canada Workers Benefit" from the list and click “Go”. Then you can select “No” to claiming the credit. Click “Continue” to save your changes.

Aileen4
Returning Member

I have chosen the option to not claim the Canada Employment amount as I have been on disability all of 2022.  However, the deduction is still showing up on my tax return.  TurboTax seems to override my decision not to claim the credit and automatically requires me to claim it.