Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax is suggesting the refund I will receive will be more than the total taxes I paid last year (due to medical expenses tax credit). Is that possible or a mistake?

My spouse and I have very little income (retired, with CPP/OAS). As part of the return, it looks like not only will I get all the taxes I paid in the year, back, as a refund, but also some more amount. That is because of some typical medical expenses over the last year. I thought the medical expense credit was a non-refundable credit (as in, it cannot exceed the tax liability).

Is it possible for me to receive a higher refund than the total taxes I paid, due to this medical expense credit, or does that indicate some sort of a mistake in the tax return?
1 Reply

TurboTax is suggesting the refund I will receive will be more than the total taxes I paid last year (due to medical expenses tax credit). Is that possible or a mistake?

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you. They can look at the return with you to see what is going on.