Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax MacOS version requirements

Intuit is the only company that requires me to purchase a new Mac computer every three years because you write software that is DEPENDENT on the specific features of the latest release of MacOS. Stop this very poor practice!!!!  If you do like other OS-independent application writers and establish a Framework that uses only the basic, very rich features of MacOS and write in an object oriented language for your Driver, then you can update the forms and formulas that compute each entry on a tax form without upgrading the Driver to use fancy WOW! features of the MacOS. For example: TT 2020 will require Mojave MacOS 10.14 to run. I guess you have committed to using Dark Mode or some other fancy useless feature that is not needed to complete the job of receiving the data I enter for each form, TT calculating the parts of each form that require it, verifying the consistency, and submitting the data to the IRS and preparing a printable version of the completed income tax filing forms for my records. If you had this MacOS or Windows independent Driver and Frameworks, all you would need to do to create the next year's TT version is to update the forms, the calculation formulas, the data submission forms, and the printed version of each form without touching the basic framework and code of the driver. The same goes for your MacOS Desktop version of QuickBooks - please pass these comments on to that group in Intuit.

I run some applications that were written 20 years ago that still work and provide me the functions that I bought them for. You can do more to become independent of any specific version of the operating system. I could see you updating your software to run on specific versions of the OS if your software mucked about with internal parameters, or modified the system, or was highly specialized software that needs to be tuned to run its best on the specific OS version.

I have used Macintax since it first was sold by Softview. I have Turbotax since Intuit took it over. The code you people work with must be revised to become an application that is OS version independent. Most software developers have written their products so that they run well independent of the OS version. Intuit must do this also instead of tieing your software to fancy advanced services and functions that a vendor adds to its OS for the glitz or for highly specialized applications to run better.

I complain about your OS version dependency that requires me to get a new computer every three years instead of the ten years of use I expect to get out of my computer before it breaks or runs too slowly for the overweight fat applications that vendors produce.

1 Reply

TurboTax MacOS version requirements

Thank you for your feedback!  We will forward your feedback to our product development team.