Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LibbySL

Turbotax wants me to upgrade due to self-employment income but I am not self-employed.

I am a teacher in Nova Scotia. I did a 3-day job for the Province of NS last summer where I assessed grade 8 provincial assessments for a flat fee of $780. I received a T4A for that income and since it is designated as self-employment income by their system the system is telling me to upgrade to a $120 self-employment plan. I don't that is reasonable since I'm not self-employed and this was a nominal amount earned, clearly not self-employment but a short contract job related to my full-time role as a teacher within the provincial government. Happy to pay taxes on this, but not happy to be dinged by TurboTax. 

How do I resolve this? I can't seem to access customer service without also paying another fee.

1 Reply

Turbotax wants me to upgrade due to self-employment income but I am not self-employed.

If you have Self-Employment income on a slip and wish to use TurboTax Online, then unfortunately, you have to use the Self-Employed version. But, at the same time, you can claim the fee for TurboTax as a self-employment expense against your T4A income, as well as other eligible expenses you may have had.