Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xmiragex
Returning Member

Understanding WIP and Self-Employment Income

In 2023, I worked full time but I also picked up a contract as a consultant for a non-profit. That work took place from October 2023 going into March 2024. I received 50% of the contracted amount in payment 2023. The organization also issued me a T4A which has the 50% that I was paid in 2023.

My understanding for self-employment earnings was that I needed to claim the income in the year the work started, so I would pay taxes on the full 100% of the money, despite only being paid 50% of it in 2023. Essentially, claiming 50% as work completed in the year, and 50% as work in progress (WIP). 

But since I'm likely to be issued another T4A in 2024 for the remaining 50%, wouldn't that cause me to end up double paying on taxes for this project? Is there a way to disregard the T4A that would be issued next year, knowing that I already claimed it as WIP? 

I would prefer to pay the full amount of taxes in 2023.  The amount of self-employment earnings I will have received in 2023 is less than the $30000 required by CRA to have a GST number. So I didn't have a GST number at the time the contract was signed and the work started. However, in 2024, I did register for a GST number in order to bid on a larger contract. It is not in my contract with this organization to charge them GST, so if I don't claim the full amount in 2023, will I be on the hook for the GST for the 50% portion to be paid out in 2024 when the contract closes out?

2 Replies
xmiragex
Returning Member

And just to add a bit more context - I am providing non profit consulting service, so I understand this would be business income. So maybe I am not eligible for claiming WIP? Is that only for professional services? 

As there is much to be clarified for an accurate answer, it would be best to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) in order to enter the correct income. Please call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.