Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shipley
Returning Member

Using Netfile when my wife's SIN is 000 000 000

I have an error on my taxes that my wife's SIN starts with a 0 which is only allowed with newcomers. My wife is a newcomer and doesn't have a SIN. I entered the SIN as 000 000 000 as suggested in other posts, but it doesn't seem to be working. Do I have to mail both of our income taxes even though I have used Netfile for myself in the past?

8 Replies

Non-residents can't file their returns using NETFILE. Your wife will have to print out her return and either mail or fax it. Please make sure to put in the correct SIN before printing.

Shipley
Returning Member

My wife lives in Canada with me and is waiting for her PR, she isn't able to get her SIN yet. Can I just print her's and Netfile my taxes?

Shipley
Returning Member

How do I Netfile my tax return then? It won't let me with her SIN being 000 000 000. 

Are you trying to file her return your return? What is the exact error message that you are getting?

Shipley
Returning Member

I am trying to file both of them,  but my return specifically. I can mail my wife's in but why can't I Netfile my return?  This is the error I get: Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) beginning with zero are invalid. Only Newcomers to Canada with a SIN starting with zero are eligible to use NETFILE.

My wife is a newcomer, but I can't file my return because of this.

When it comes to NetFile, the errors you may receive are specific to your return.

Please make sure that your SIN number does not start with a zero. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Shipley
Returning Member

Well this was useless, I have a feeling like you never even read my question or previous responses. My wife doesn’t have a SIN, at Turbo Tax  suggestions on other posts,  I put 000 000 000. Yet, I can’t file my taxes now on Netfiles… so, what number do you suggest, since now you tell me not to put a 0. Why did I even try this discussion . 🤦🏼

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.