Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsal3377

Where do I find my investment income information and where do I enter it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Any income made from your investments within "Registered" accounts,(TFSAs, RRSPs, RRIFs) does not get reported on the tax return. You, of course, will have an RRSP Contribution Receipt or Receipts to claim if you made any contributions from Mar to Dec 2017 or the 1st 60 days of 2018.

If you were buying and selling stocks, mutual funds, etc. in your online account, not within your TFSA, you would have incurred Capital Gains or Losses on any sells or dispositions you made. These need to be reported in TurboTax under Investments > Capital Gains & Capital Gains Deduction Profile. You should be able to retrieve a statement from your online account that provides you with the information needed to report this.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What type of investment income do you have? And have you not received any tax slips, statements or documents from the institution or investor if you have one?
bsal3377

hi, thank you for your reply. The only tax slip I received was from the bank with/to which I contribute RRSP funds. Beyond that, I set up an online investment account and invested in some companies and made some money - though, that profit went to a tax free savings account. I did not receive any income tax related mail for that account....

Any income made from your investments within "Registered" accounts,(TFSAs, RRSPs, RRIFs) does not get reported on the tax return. You, of course, will have an RRSP Contribution Receipt or Receipts to claim if you made any contributions from Mar to Dec 2017 or the 1st 60 days of 2018.

If you were buying and selling stocks, mutual funds, etc. in your online account, not within your TFSA, you would have incurred Capital Gains or Losses on any sells or dispositions you made. These need to be reported in TurboTax under Investments > Capital Gains & Capital Gains Deduction Profile. You should be able to retrieve a statement from your online account that provides you with the information needed to report this.

bsal3377

Thank you very much for this very helpful information, its much appreciated. My investments were indee "registered" with a TFSA, so no Capital Gains as I understand it.