Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
muffinjas

Why after i enter my spouse 23600 income it reduced my tax return, (from $1500 refund to $875 tax return) affected my tax return?

6 Replies
smh72

Why after i enter my spouse 23600 income it reduced my tax return, (from $1500 refund to $875 tax return) affected my tax return?

this hyperlink is broken. Where can I find the information that explains why my income tax refund changes once I add my spouse's income?

Your tax refund changes when you add your spouse's income because there are many credits that consider both spouse's income in their calculations. When you enter just your income, your joint total income may be low enough that you may get credits intended for low-income people, but once you add your spouse's income you no longer qualify for those. 

There is also the spousal amount, which is given to a person if their spouse’s net income was less than the person’s basic personal amount. If you don’t add your spouse’s income, the spousal amount will be added to your return, since zero is less that the basic personal amount. Adding the spouse’s income will remove the spousal amount if that income is too high.  

nm24

is there a way around this? seems unfair when it's a personal business? 

@nm24 

Your tax refund changes when you add your spouse's income because there are many credits that consider both spouse's income in their calculations. When you enter just your income, your joint total income may be low enough that you may get credits intended for low-income people, but once you add your spouse's income you no longer qualify for those. 

There is also the spousal amount, which is given to a person if their spouse’s net income was less than the person’s basic personal amount. If you don’t add your spouse’s income, the spousal amount will be added to your return, since zero is less that the basic personal amount. Adding the spouse’s income will remove the spousal amount if that income is too high.  

moefitzp

If I am  doing the returns together will Turbo tax calculate the spouse amount and enter it ?

@moefitzp Yes, it will.